By Pain Resource
Some like it hot. If you’re not one of the heat-tolerant, here are some great tips to help you keep your cool when the heat is on … and on and on.
- Stay hydrated by drink plenty of water regularly throughout the day. The Centers for Disease Control recommends that people working outside drink from two to four cups of water every hour.
- Reinforce your fluid intake by eating fresh fruits that have a high water content, such as watermelon, grapefruit, and grapes.
- Cool down your core temperature by applying ice packs to your pulse points. These areas are the body’s natural cooling spots and include the wrist, the inside of your elbows, knees, and ankles. Cooling the back of your neck helps, too.
- Dishwashing liquid makes a handy homemade icepack. Fill a zip style freezer bag 1/2 to 3/4 full with dish soap. Double or triple the bags to prevent leaks, and then freeze it. The liquid will get cold without solidifying, which makes it easier to mold around areas that you want to ice. Be sure to wrap the bag in a thin dishtowel before applying. You can refreeze multiple times.
- For another homemade cooler, stuff a cotton sock with uncooked rice. Stash in the freezer until it gets refreshingly cold. Use it to keep you feet and other body parts cool throughout the day. Tuck one or two under the top sheet at night.
- If you don’t have air-conditioning, put your top sheet and pillow case in a plastic bag in the refrigerator a few hours before you turn in for the night. The added chill factor may help you fall asleep.
- Put a bowl of ice cubes directly in front of the fan so that the air passes over the ice, adding a welcome touch of frost to the circulating breeze.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine. While a cold beer or frosty drink may sound refreshing, alcohol is dehydrating, and caffeine creates metabolic heat in the body.
- Keep the kids happy with instant minipopsicles. Pour juice or lemonade into ice cube trays. Freeze and then serve in a small paper cup.
- Put your sunscreen or moisturizer in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or so before applying.