It is estimated that upwards of 10 million people suffer from acute carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) symptoms each year. That’s not to mention those who suffer from mild to moderate effects that make each working day unpleasant. The simple fact is that our bodies didn’t evolve to suit an office lifestyle. However, this is how the vast majority of us make our living. So whether you are suffering from severe wrist, joint and finger pain or simply looking to increase both your comfort level and productivity at work, then be sure to check our list of the best office supplies for carpal tunnel.
|The wrong posture can create too much stress on your hands and wrists, leading to CTS pain.|
What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?
Before getting into our list of the best office supplies for carpal tunnel, it’s important to understand what causes carpal tunnel. The condition is caused by pressure on the median nerve from repetitive hand and finger motions like typing, filing, writing and other activities over an extended period of time. Carpal tunnel syndrome generally takes years to develop into its acute form.
However, you can recognize early warning signs such as tingling or burning sensations in your fingers, hands and wrists. Recognizing these warning signs early is key because you can reverse CTS if you caught early otherwise your medial nerve among others might become permanently damaged.
Let’s get ergonomic
Ergonomics is the principle of using the right postures to ensure that you can work comfortably and prevent injuries. Here’s how:
- Begin by setting up your office accordingly.
- Try embracing the standing desk, as the dangers of prolonged periods of time sitting have become more well-known.
- If you work while standing, wear comfortable, supportive shoes and stand on a mat instead of a hard floor.
- Ensure your shoulders and straight.
- Try to keep your arms as straight as possible while working.
- If you’re working while seated, adjust your chair or desk so that you don’t bend or put too much pressure on your wrists when you use your keyboard and mouse.
- Relax your elbows and wrists so that the blood flow reaches your hands and fingers and puts less strain on your tendons while performing repetitive motions.
During a busy work schedule, it can be easy to lose your relaxed alignment. Many people lean in, draw their arms up high, lay their palms on their desks and use equipment that requires too much strain to operate repetitively.
Essential products to fight carpal tunnel in the office
These days, it’s quite easy to get your hands on the best office supplies for carpal tunnel via online shopping or visiting your local office supply store. They come in many different varieties but the most effective we have found are the following:
Palm and wrist rests
Palm and wrist rests are one of the best ways to prevent carpal tunnel from ever developing. They help to create a more ergonomic office. To use them properly, place the heels of your palms on the cushions to properly use them. There are also mouse pads you can use that are similarly effective along with special gloves to protect your fingers.