Fibromyalgia is a painful and serious condition that causes pain throughout the whole body. Fibromyalgia is also associated with sleep issues, constant fatigue, and mental issues that make everyday life challenging.
This condition has no known cause, so a cure is not readily available just yet. This can feel overwhelming in the midst of dealing with terrible pain. However, that does not mean you cannot find ways you can manage the pain and symptoms.
With approximately 4 million people in the USA that suffer from fibromyalgia, many of those people are seeking natural and holistic ways to manage their pain and other symptoms.
Chlorella has come into the spotlight for its potential ability to help some people alleviate and manage their fibromyalgia. When conventional medications just aren’t cutting it or are giving you undesirable side effects, chlorella may help.
In this post, we will explore what chlorella is, if it really does alleviate fibromyalgia symptoms, how it does, and other tips on how to seek natural pain relief.
What Is Chlorella?
Chlorella is a green alga that grows in both fresh water and salt water. When making natural supplements like pills and powders, the entire plant is used. The plant is native to Taiwan and Japan, and this is where most of the chlorella is harvested.
Chlorella is a superfood and therefore is rich in beneficial vitamins and minerals. This alga contains amino acids, beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium, B vitamins, and more. The alga also contains high concentrations of chlorophyll, which is why the chlorella supplements you take are such a deep green color.
Chlorella generally comes in a powder you can mix into drinks and food, capsules, and liquid extracts. Which form of chlorella you take is up to you, so go with the method is easiest for you to stick to.
Does Chlorella Alleviate Fibromyalgia Symptoms?
Although more research and studies are needed, we see very promising results from the studies that have been conducted. Future research will need to be done to concretely to determine how chlorella affects pain for fibromyalgia patients.
In 2000, a study used chlorella to help patients with fibromyalgia. Every day for two months, patients took two different commercially produced chlorella dietary supplements:
- 10 g Sun Chlorella – tablets
- 100 mL Wakasa Gold – liquid
After two months of taking chlorella, they found that some of the patients had a 22% reduction in pain overall. It is important to note that some patients felt like they had no improvement and others felt their pain got worse. That said, these findings still indicate the potential for chlorella to help fibromyalgia related pain.
For those suffering from this condition, it is likely up to trial and error to see if chlorella will help your specific pain and other symptoms. Since the study did have mixed results, speaking to your healthcare professional about these potential benefits is essential to your success with treating this stubborn condition.
How Does Chlorella Improve Symptoms?
If you think that trying chlorella is an option you would like to try, how does it actually help relieve your fibromyalgia symptoms?
- Reduces inflammation in your brain and body: It is all about inflammation. Fibromyalgia patients suffer from inflammation in most parts of the body and in the brain. There are specific inflammatory agents in blood plasma that cause pain and inflammation in the body. These agents are located in the spinal fluid as well. Chlorella combats this inflammation via its natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fights chronic fatigue: Often, one of the biggest issues you face with fibromyalgia pain is chronic fatigue and the inability to exercise. But chlorella is able to help fight fatigue, boost your immune system, and increase your physical stamina in a natural way.
- Increases physical stamina: Moving your body is an important part of the healing process, and this alga gives you that extra boost you need to have success.
- Protects your muscles from damage: Having fibromyalgia can also cause muscle damage, which chlorella can help reduce. Because of chlorella’s high level of antioxidants, it reduces oxidative stress, which protects your muscles and keeps them stronger and healthier.
- Reduces feelings of depression and anxiety: Due to the constant issues and stresses in the body, you may also suffer from depression and anxiety. In fact, most people who have fibromyalgia suffer from one or both. Chlorella can inhibit your body’s ability to create too many stress hormones, like cortisol. Consequently, reduction in cortisol production means you will feel less depressed and anxious.
Other Natural Remedies for Fibromyalgia
Of course, there are many other natural remedies for fibromyalgia that can help with your symptoms as well. Using other natural remedies in combination with chlorella can be a very effective way to efficiently treat pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.
Below are a few other natural remedies that are believed to work well for a wide variety of people:
- 5-HPT (5-Hydroxytryptophan)
- St. John’s wort
- Warm showers, baths, and moist heated compresses
If you work with your doctor and figure out a winning combination of any of the above natural ways to alleviate your fibromyalgia pain, you can be well on your way to feeling the best you ever have.
Taking chlorella and figuring out what other natural remedies work the best for your symptoms may be the key to improving your quality of life.
Have you used chlorella to treat fibromyalgia?
Tell us your results in the comments!
What natural treatments for fibromyalgia should we talk about?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas!
Are you on Facebook?
Join our online community by clicking here.