It’s Halloween – that time of year known for dressing up, enjoying cooler temps and of course tricking or treating for a few sugar rushes. If you’re trying to make healthier choices, you may worry that Halloween celebrations won’t be as festive if you don’t give in to sweets and treats. Fear not: there are several healthy Halloween options you can make at home and even buy in the store! It’s quite possible – and quite easy – to watch out for your wellbeing while still enjoying yummy fall goodies (in moderation, of course).
Grab these healthy Halloween treats online or in stores
- Enjoy Life Foods Halloween Chocolate Minis: A great alternative to Hershey’s Kisses, these candies are vegan and free from several allergens. That means not only can you enjoy a few without the guilt but that you can also offer a more inclusive option for your neighborhood trick or treaters.
- Wholesome Ghost and Skull Lollipops: Shaped like ghosts and skulls with spooky flavors like Wicked Watermelon and Eerie Orange, these lollipops come 30 to a bag and are organic and non-GMO certified. They’re also made with organic cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, they’re free of artificial colors and flavors and they’re certified gluten free, nut free, vegan and Kosher.
- Kind Fruit Bites: These delicious, whole-fruit snack bites have no fruit juices, concentrates, purees or added sugar.
- Wickedly Prime Pea Bites: This light yet savory snack is only 90 calories a bag and are airy and addictive.
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups: Something about peanut butter radiates a feeling of fall. Good thing these low-calorie, low-sugar, dairy-free peanut butter cups are here to deliver healthier buttery goodness than their orange package alternatives.
- Smart Sweets Sour Blast Buddies: Finally, a gummy bear option that is low in sugar, low in calories and plant-based. These tapioca-based gummies are packed with fiber and certified vegan. They’re also free of several added chemicals found in most gummy bear brands.
- YumEarth Organic Candy Corn Snack Packs – Yes, plant-based candy corn does exist! This brand has less than half the amount of sugar in other leading brands. While it still has 14g of sugar per serving, it is a good alternative if you enjoy them in moderation. It’s also dairy-free, gluten-free and organic.
Make these healthy Halloween treats at home
If you have some time on your hands and want to get creative, why not make your own healthy Halloween goodies? That way, you know exactly what is going in them, and you can create inclusive treats that people across the dietary spectrum can enjoy.
- Healthy Butterfingers
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp xylitol or beet sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free almond butter
- 1 ¼ cup all-bran cereal
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Combine maple syrup and xylitol in a saucepan, and bring to boil.
- Add peanut butter and salt and stir until uniform.
- Remove from heat.
- Add bran flakes and stir in the peanut butter mixture.
- Pour into a baking pan and press.
- Melt the chocolate chips by placing a saucepan over a boiling pan.
- Spread chocolate over the mixture.
- Freeze until hard.
- Elderberry Gummies