This tropical-inspired dish is gently spiced for a rich flavor. Eating healthy foods enhances your overall wellness.
Healthy Caribbean Casserole
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper rinsed and diced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ( 15 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans (or beans of your choice) drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup instant brown rice uncooked
- Sauté onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and beans (including liquid from both), as well as oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Finish the meal with delicious tropical fruit, such as mangoes, papayas, or pineapple.