Healthy Caribbean Diet Overview
Eating healthy foods can improve your overall wellness and a Caribbean diet can be rich in a variety of vegetables and fruits and and plenty of seafood while being low in refined grains. You should try and place plant-based foods at the core of your diet, as they contain fibre, essential vitamins & minerals that are vital for good health and dietary disease prevention.
Rich stews are a hallmark of the traditional Caribbean diet, the flavors come primarily from an essential mix of spices and broths that are not heavy on the calories. A healthy Caribbean diet can act as a base to a healthy, and delicious weight loss plan without changing the original cuisine much.
Healthy Caribbean Casserole
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper rinsed and diced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ( 15 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans (or beans of your choice) drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup instant brown rice uncooked
- Sauté onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and beans (including liquid from both), as well as oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Have a Healthy Caribbean Recipe Tip to Share?
We want to read all about it in the comments section below!
What Caribbean recipes would you like to learn about?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
Are you on Facebook?
Join our online community by clicking here.