When you live with chronic pain, embracing a healthy lifestyle by doing things like making good food choices and exercising regularly can make a major long-term difference in improving your quality of life. Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you can’t have any fun, though. Halloween is a time when tasty treats are constantly in our face. Partake in the festivities without losing traction by trying these healthy Halloween treats.
Strawberries are loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C, and can help to give your immune system a boost. Grab some fresh strawberries at your local supermarket for these easy to make, chocolate-dipped ghosts.
1 package Wilton melting chocolate
24 fresh strawberries, washed
Mini chocolate chips or chocolate frosting in a piping tube
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. (Tip: Wilton makes disposable melting trays that makes clean up easy. Find them at Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics).
- Place a large piece of wax or parchment paper on a flat surface.
- Dip strawberries in the melted chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off before setting them on the parchment paper.
- If you’re using chocolate chips, place the chocolate chips as eyes and a mouth before the chocolate coating has hardened. If using frosting, you can wait until the coating has hardened before adding a mouth and nose.
Tangerine Pumpkins and Banana Ghosts
Tangerines are packed with many nutrients, including vitamin C and vitamin A. They contribute to your overall health, from your cells to your heart and bones.
Bananas are rich in potassium, which can help regulate nutrients in your body. Additionally, bananas may actually help to lower blood pressure and can potentially reduce the risks of cancer and asthma.
24 chocolate chips, regular sized and/or mini
1 stalk celery
- Peel bananas and cut them in half. Place the cut side down so that the halves stand up.
- Use small chocolate chips to make the ghost eyes and the large chocolate chips to make the ghost mouths.
- Peel the tangerines.
- Cut celery lengthwise into thirds, then across into half-inch pieces. Insert the celery pieces into the tops of peeled tangerines so that they look like pumpkins.
Frankenstein Avocado Toast
Avocados pack a nutritional punch, and are packed with vitamins C, E, K and B-6, along with many other nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids. Avocados are a healthy fat that have many health benefits, including natural detoxification and a lowered risk of depression and other chronic conditions.
Whole wheat toast
Lemon or lime juice
Foods to make face:
- While your bread is in the toaster, mash up the avocado with the lemon or lime juice. Feel free to add salt, pepper and even red pepper flakes for flavoring.
- Spread the avocado on the toast, then add the veggies and eggs to make a Frankenstein face.