Here’s a lasagna recipe with healthy ingredient substitutions that you can make at home with your kids.
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 oz mushrooms (optional)
- 16 oz spaghetti sauce (low fat or no sugar added)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups fat-free or low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and mushrooms.
Stir in spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and basil.
In a 2-quart baking dish (about 11x7x2 inches) greased with cooking spray, layer 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Parmesan cheeses.
Repeat layers twice.
Bake lasagna for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
Note: Don’t forget to drain the fat from the meat after you brown it.