If you have frequent pain, you’ve probably tried everything under the sun to get relief. Patches can offer convenient, on-the-go relief for back pain, neck pain and more. But some patches are more effective than others. Let’s look at pain relief patches that work so you can shop informed.
The Energeze Pain Relief Patch
The Energeze Patch, launched by medical-device company Prezacor, features an embedded electrode that absorbs electrical waves emitted from the nerves on the pained area. That electrode acts as a sort of antenna: it not only receives energy from the pain site but it also releases a lower-level healing energy back into the area.
That low-frequency energy returned to the pain spot has a calming, healing effect. Prezacor’s research shows that “the lower frequency release of the absorbed electrical field by the Energeze Patch results in a decrease in discomfort by either directly interfering with nerve signal transmission, or activating the nervous system associated with calming, or pleasurable, sensations.”
“70% response rate for reduction or elimination of pain in people with chronic lower back pain.”
Benefits of the Energeze Patch
Finding pain relief patches that work can be a challenge. Some patches last for less than 12 hours to 24 hours, while others are ineffective in targeting deeper pain in the muscles and joints.
Energeze has been tested primarily for the relief of back pain. In fact, clinical trials showed a “70% response rate for reduction or elimination of pain in people with chronic lower back pain.”
Researchers as well as those who have used the product note that the patches are:
- effective for chronic and acute musculoskeletal pain such as muscle strain
- safe to use daily and over prolonged periods of time
- medicine-free and safe to use with other pain medicines
- odorless, which allows you to wear them in public with confidence
- reusable for 5 days, which helps to save you money
You can order a box of 3 patches online without a prescription for $29.95. They are also available at certain retailers and in the offices of physical therapists, message therapists, chiropractors and spas throughout the United States.
Other popular pain relief patch options
The Energeze Patch is just one of a variety of options available to help you manage aches and pains. Other popular options include:
- Salonpas Pain Relief Patches (this option is a topical analgesic that comes with 10% methyl salicylate and 3% menthol)
- Aspercreme Maximum Strength Patch (this option uses lidocaine and claims to target more pain receptors than any other OTC topical analgesic)
- Tiger Balm Pain Relieving Patch (this option provides long time relief via herbal ingredients and a ventilated hydrogel patch)
- LidoSpot Pain Relieving Patch (this option provides relief for up to 12 hours via 4% lidocaine and 1% menthol)
Finding pain relief patches that work
You may find that certain patches work well for you while others don’t. You may also find that you prefer cooling relief or warming relief. In some cases, you may be able to combine using a pain relieving patch with oral medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
Follow these tips when using pain relief patches:
- Be aware of the active ingredient before applying the patch. It may have possible side effects. Also, it’s important to avoid potential medication interactions.
- Always follow a patch’s directions for use. This may include using only one patch at a time.
- Monitor the pained area, especially when it’s your first time using a particular patch. Some patches have active ingredients that can irritate your skin.
- Never use patches over broken or irritated skin.
What physical therapists have to say about pain relief patches (Video)
Pain relief patches can complement other pain relief techniques. Or, they can be used as standalone relief. You may need to try a few different brands until you find the option that’s right for you.
If you have questions about whether a patch may be suitable for you, speak with your health care team.
Which patches work best for you?
What topics related to pain patches would you like to see us explore?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
Are you on Facebook?
Join our online community by clicking here.
Pain management starts and ends with health awareness and dedication. Click here to read more.
I’ve tried just about every pain patch available. SalonPas and those OTC ones dont work for me at all. Nor did Luminas, LifeWave which is a MLM company, Staminapro etc. So still searching I really like IHerb for online purchasing of herbs, supplements but they dont carry any pain patches that work either for me. It gets discouraging being in so much pain & feeling like there is no help. I will just keep looking because the market for pain relief has a lot of new things each year but praying soon for something that works.
So far Luminas 24 hour all natural patches work well but $40 bites