Five â€œcenters of excellenceâ€, as determined by the American Pain Society in 2009.
If you are dealing with chronic pain that affects your everyday life in a significant way, it might behoove you to consult a team of experts who work together to take a multidisciplinary approach to your treatment. Â Ask your primary care physician to point you in the direction of a facility that specializes in such an approach. There are numerous pain centers in the U.S. that take a multidisciplinary approach to pain treatment. These five were recognized in 2009 as â€œcenters of excellenceâ€ by the American Pain Society.
- Beth Israel Medical Center, Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care, New York City
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Pain Management Center, Houston (cancer pain)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Center for Pain Management, Chicago
- University of California, Los Angeles, Pediatric Pain Program, Mattel Childrenâ€™s Hospital, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles (childrenâ€™s pain)
- University of Virginia Division of Pain Medicine/University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesvile, Virginia
Originally published by Pain Solutions Magazine, Fall 2009
Photo Credit:Â Aberenyi, courtesy of Stock Free Images